Saturday, April 30, 2011

Passion

A friend I know told me that one of the many reasons his ex wanted to break up was because "he didn't have a passion (about anything.)" First of all, she was wrong. He does have a passion. His passion is to make a lot of money, legally, of course. He is just not particularly fixated on any particular career path.

Of course, the ex was only in her twenties when she said that. Of course, she also, at the time, had her eyes on a guy, whom she later on dated, who was a fan of fixing cars. Of course, when you were twenties, and wanted to end one relationship and jump into another, and you were constantly being asked, "Why? What is wrong with me? What can I do to change?" You will say just about anything. But, passion was about the worst reason I've heard.

And, how exactly do you define passion? Everybody knows that the writer of Harry Potter was on welfare when Harry Potter finally caught on and became a phenomenal success. But will I follow/support a guy to that point? The answer is no. Perhaps he will make it one day, perhaps he will not. If he doesn't, I will be an idiot to have wasted so much time with him. If he does, then it will be my lost. But I will not follow a guy to that point. But, at the very minimum, I can understand a passion for creativity -- writing a screen play, writing a book, becoming an actor/actress/dancer/world-renowned athlete/programmer/noble prize winner. At least I get those. I will not personally pursue it to the point of poverty (not how I was raised), but at least I understand. But how is car-fixing a passion? I'm sorry, unless this "passion" can, at some point, turn into a livelihood, it's just a hobby. And, yes, aspiring to one day have your own auto-shop count. It doesn't have to be a ridiculous amount of money, but if you are living in your parents house, barely making ends meet, and/or not have a job that can pay your expenses, then your hobby -- not passion, very different -- is just making you a loser.

No comments:

Post a Comment