Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Turning 40

So, my cousin, who's a mere three months older than me, asked me if I was subconsciously in denial when I turned 40. The answer, I can honestly say, is no. I will admit to it, turning 30 was a lot more scarier and depressing than turning 40, and here's why:

1) You feel young when you were in your 20's, turning 30 was simply unimaginable.

2) 20's went by in a breeze, 30's just crept up on you.

3) When I turned 30, I had neither a career (still don't) nor a significant other.

4) People were not kidding about once you hit 30, you start going downhill. You took the brunt of the transformation here.

During your 30's, you start gaining consciousness, quite literally. You are, sometimes painfully, well aware that you are getting old, relatively speaking. At about 37, 38, you are already in your "late 30's." I'm quite certain that I was already referring to myself as "40" starting around 38 or so, though the husband liked to correct me.

So, the transition from 39 to 40 was seamless, if I may say so. It's like getting married to the same person you have co-habited with for the last five years. Sure, you can say that you are entering into a new phase, but nothing really changed. So I can honestly say that, "No, I did not consciously or subconsciously deny/avoid thinking about turning 40." It's just another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment