Sunday, June 5, 2011

Actually, That's Not In the Bible

Actually, That's Not In the Bible
  
So I read this interesting entry on CNN's religion blog today. The Bible may be the most revered book in America, but it’s also one of the most misquoted, it says. That people always think quotes are from the Bible when they were not, or grossly misinterpreted. Here are some examples:

“God helps those who help themselves.”
“Spare the rod, spoil the child.”
“God works in mysterious ways.”
“Cleanliness is next to Godliness.”

Frankly I'm no Bible scholar, and will admit that I have never read the Bible cover to cover, although one day I probably should, just for the sake of it, but I failed to see how any of those quotes even sound like they are from the Bible.

God works in mysterios ways? The only place I've ever heard that quote was from X-files, or so I thought. I have always wonder that why that came from Fox Mulder, whom I assumed, basing on the context of the show, is atheist. The best I could came up with was: he was  being sarcastic.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness? Oh, c'mon. That just sounds like something made up to encourage people to be clean... but hey, that's not the only thing I don't get about religious folks.

Here, however, is a quote from the article that's worthy of mentioning, “Most people who profess a deep love of the Bible have never actually read the book,” says Rabbi Rami Shapiro.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I was hoping this would be longer, I liked where you were going with it and your insight. Great quote to end on, though!

    ReplyDelete