Sunday, May 15, 2011

Creativity

So my friend, J, is the artistic type who aspires to become a director. Artistic type, in my eyes, are anyone who wants to pursue a career in film-making, writing, drawing, performance arts, actors/actresses, musicians, etc. As Asians, or at least in my family, pursuing of artistic talent is discouraged. I supposed there is a possibility that things might be different should I demonstrated remarkable artistic talent at a young age, but I didn't. I was raised that your number one concern is roof over head and food on table, and sufficient money so you are not miserable, anything else, especially a hobby, can come after that. There is a reason why there is an abundant amount of Asian engineers, doctors, pharmacists. It may not be your passion and being a professional of the above listed might not bring you happiness, in fact, you may or may not hate life, but you will be financially stable. That's the #1 goal.

As much as my mother has a crazy way of showing her love, I must say she nailed this one head on -- financial stability is the single most important thing. (And I have subsequently married a White guy with very Asian values....) But my point is, because I was brain washed at such an early age, that is how I will always view pursuing such a passion as a career path. You see, in my opinion, pursuing an artistic path is like a gamble -- some people make it, others don't -- it's a combination of talent and some luck. You just never know. In my opinion (again, brain washed value), you first get a job that will provide you with roof and food, then you pursue your passion; however, we have all heard the story of J.K. Rowling. Had she pursued her writing career as a part-time job, she might never have succeeded. In the end, it was her decision (?) to pursue it till the very last moment -- on welfare.

Recently, J's girlfriend asked him, "At which point will you give up becoming a director?" J's response, "I will never give up." As a female, I entirely saw where she was coming from. Now I am not writing this to judge whether J should or should not give up his passion or at which point he should give up. That's entirely his decision. The important part was he realized that it was unfair of him to expect her to wait for him, but also equally as unfair for her to expect him to give up his dreams for her. In the end, they parted ways. It was his prerogative to decided when he will (or will not) quit, and it was hers to decided when she is done waiting. If he ended up never succeeded, that's his decision. If he became the next James Cameron the day after she left him, that's her decision. In the end, we are all adults who are responsible for our own actions. We made our beds, and we will have to lay in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment